In order for content to be a success, content marketers cannot work in a silo. Instead they need to work in partnership with SEO practitioners. If you want your content to be seen and to reach the top of a search engine’s result page, the content team needs to collaborate with SEO strategists. In part-two of our three-part series on SEO our very own SEO expert, Michael Wilkins, explains how this can work in practice:
There are a number of things you can do to ensure that everyone’s on board with your company’s SEO strategy:
- You’ll need to develop a continual program of educating your content team about the importance of SEO.
- You need to create a targeted keyword list (below we’ll give you some tips how) – which can be distributed to your content team and given to your developers too.
- It’s important to create a content calendar that weaves in terms, words, phrases that you are targeting.
- You should use the metrics you have in place to inform the content team of insights and industry trends so that they can include these into the editorial they create.
How to create a keyword list
The best way to create a keyword list is to search for words and phrases about/that are relevant to your business. To do this you need to:
- Check the paid search account – look at what key words are converting well.
- Look in Google webmaster tools – they have ranking reports in there and will be able to tell you keywords that are commonly used on your website.
- Also look at what your competitors are trying to rank for.
- Look at Google trends to find out what people are searching for related to your industry (you can type in search phrases or keywords and see what people are using).
- Use a Google AdWords tool to make a giant list of all keywords, then take this to your list to senior management and ask them to pick the most relevant.
- You then need to rank the selected words according to competition for that keyword as well as search volume.
- Now reduce the list into a manageable size – perhaps using a ranking system of which words are the most important to the business.
- It’s important to then distribute this list to the content team to use.