Unless you’ve been living under a rock, there’s a good chance that you’ve seen user-generated content featured on your favourite online shop. Another customer wearing the shirt you are thinking to buy, perhaps?
And if you are a marketer and have participated in social media marketing events lately, you must have heard stories about how displaying 'social proof' from peers on a product page increases the conversion rates.
I can guarantee the stories about the benefits of displaying user-generated content on your e-commerce site are true. In fact, our clients have seen an increase of 20-30 % in conversion rates when user-generated content is displayed at the moment of purchase.
Saying NO to an increase of 20 % in sales would be silly, right?
Most companies already have engaged customers sharing content mentioning a branded hashtag or the brand’s username but, if you don’t, here’s how you should get started:
- Ask your customers to give feedback and share product ideas and experiences with a specific hashtag. Add a call-to-action to your website, but also to all marketing materials such as posters, leaflets, emails, etc. At the time of decreasing organic reach on Facebook and other social channels, it’s never been more important to engage your customers sharing content about you to their friends.
- Use tools like Flockler to gather, analyse, and measure the most popular content and to identify who are the most engaged and influential users sharing the content.
- Reward the best ones with an add-on to your current product or provide them with a coupon to purchase your services at a discount.
- Amplify the most popular content by sharing, commenting, and liking it, displaying it on your site and measuring which pieces of content are resonating with your target audience and customers.
How to add user-generated content to your e-commerce site?
Okay, now that you have user-generated content flowing from social channels the next step is to display them on your e-commerce site. Here we’ll take a look at three practical examples on how to add social content to your e-commerce site:
- An inspirational social wall on your homepage
- A user-generated content campaign
- Social proof with influencer content
1) An inspirational social wall on your homepage
I’m sure you’ve noticed that pet owners love to share images on social media channels, and those posts gather reactions and comments like no other. Vivadogs, a monthly subscription service of nutrition products and toys for dogs, have tracked more than 500.000 customers showing their love for dogs and Vivadogs products. A beautiful grid of Instagram images is displayed on their homepage.
An inspirational social wall on your website helps potential customers to view the products in a real-life context and discover how others like them use your services.
2) A user-generated content campaign
Do you have an active community of customers making repeated purchases? If yes, creating a user-generated campaign helps to increase sales.
Opus Art Supplies’ UGC campaign asks customers to use their products and answer questions like what they love about Canada. The submissions are gathered with Flockler, and after moderation, displayed on the website in beautiful galleries.
With user-generated content campaigns, brands can increase their reach and engagement on social media channels and strengthen relationships with the most loyal customers. Product feedback and reviews from peers inspire customers and increase conversion rates on your e-commerce site.
3) Social proof with influencer content
GoPro is one of the best-known brands for snowboarders, skateboarders, surfers, cyclists, and others who love to be active and capture the moments as videos and photos.
GoPro Awards page highlights the most popular influencer content mentioning GoPro’s products. The images and videos are gathered with Flockler and displayed as a beautiful wall on GoPro’s website.
For e-commerce sites, influencer marketing campaigns are an efficient way of increasing the reach and awareness of the brand.